The Sturdza Palace (Palatul Sturdza) was a magnificent and impressive palace, at the same time a slightly bizarre building too, due to the different styles and architectural epochs that have influenced it. The building was then on the outskirts of Bucharest, at Victory Square, in front of the Victory Palace.
The palace was built at the request of Prince Grigore Sturdza, the son of the ruler of Moldavia, Mihail Sturdza. Before coming to Bucharest, the prince was a pasha, a general in the Turkish army. Until his new residence should have been build, he lived in a house on Amza Street.
The Sturdza Palace was built between the years 1898 and 1901 by the German architect Julius Reinecke. Grigore Sturdza did not have the opportunity to move since he died in 1901. Since 1904, the building functioned as the headquarters of the Foreign Ministry.
In 1938, the new seat of the Foreign Ministry, the imposing Victory Palace, was built directly behind the old palace. The two buildings coexisted up to the bombings in 1944, which seriously affected the Sturdza Palace. In 1945, the demolition of the palace was decided. This is how an icon of the old Bucharest disappeared.