The Patriarchal Cathedral (Catedrala Patriarhală) is a former monastery church from the 17th century, which was founded by Constantin Șerban Basarab, the Romanian ruler at that time. The cathedral is located in Bucharest, near Union Square, on the Metropolitan Hill.
Next to the cathedral is the Palace of the Chamber of Deputies and the Patriarch’s Palace. Today, the Patriarchal Cathedral is seat of the Romanian Orthodox Patriarchate, which will be moving to the new Romanian People’s Salvation Cathedral in 2017.
The church was consecrated in 1658 by the Patriarch of Antioch and the Middle East. In 1668, the ruler Radu Leon turned the monastery into the residence of Romanian metropolitans.
In the 18th and 19th century, the cathedral suffered many changes. Between 1960 and 1962, the cathedral recieved her original form, thanks to the initiative of the Romanian Patriarch Justinian Marina.
On the north side of the cathedral stands a bell tower, which was part of the ancient monastery. It was built in 1698 by the Romanian ruler St. Constantin Brâncoveanu.
In 1774, the relics of St. Demetrios the New, the patron of the Romanian capital, were brought to the Patriarchal Cathedral. Every year on October 27, at the saint’s feast, thousands of pilgrims from all over Romania come to Bucharest, to see and to pray to the relicts.